Lepin 15018 Sunshine Hotel - Part 2



Today I'm continuing with my overview on this set.. looking at the the second floor as well as the attic space/roof.

The second floor interior is pretty much a direct copy of the first floor.. the only difference being some hanging lights protruding out from the walls.


Luxury accommodation!



These cramped bedrooms again! If I was re-MOC'ing this set I would make each floor a single suite with a more spacious bedroom and a shower/bathroom.

The exterior details at least offer some variety... gone are the upside down arches from the previous floor. Instead we get art deco type pieces attached by clip bricks. There are also a lot of headlight bricks used in this build. I had to use 12 of them in a single step in one point.



At this point of the build things are going great, then we come to the top floor (which is basically just an attic or storage space) and I can honestly say it's one of the worst building experiences I've had!

 I went back and checked the instructions twice as I felt like I'd missed a page!

The corner feature was also modified from the instructions.

The front of this section is made primarily from black slopes and is flimsily constructed. The upper slopes are only supported at one end, and then you are supposed to build on top of the unsupported end, making the whole thing crumble on me more than once.

Mega Bloks to the rescue!

Simple plate construction on the roof.



In the end I ended up using some old mega bloks pieces from my 'filler' tub for support behind the slopes and I re-MOC'ed most of the top part of the roof after watching 'Bricks you may want' video on this set and seeing that he had similar problems.


But other than the roof, this was a thoroughly enjoyable build. As I said in part one of my look at this set, you can tell this isn't an official LEGO design.. it's also showing its age a bit in terms of the variety of pieces being used, but the finished article is genuinely impressive, especially for the price I paid.


I'm not sure if I'll keep it as a Hotel... With its Blue and White colour scheme it may be a good candidate for conversion to a much needed Police Station at some point down the road.

As with my Barnes and Noble build previously, I was missing one of the minifigs that came with this set originally. These are fairly generic characters though so I'm OK with it. Most of my buildings end up populated with genuine LEGO minifigs anyway.


I still have the Lepin Brick Bank in my build queue as well as a few other little surprises, so keep checking back for updates.

Thanks for looking.

Comments