Lepin 15017 Barnes and Noble modular conversion - Part 2

This is a WIP update on my conversion of this set to a standard modular corner building. Fitting on a regular 32 x 32 stud base plate.

Continuing on from the ground floor, the 1st floor is again, simply a matter of using sections of the instructions along with condensing the outside walls to fit the plate.

With the ground floor complete, I now have a basic template for the outer wall position. This part of the build went much quicker and I had the structure together within a couple of hours.

My 1st attempt only used 2 of the full length windows per side and I thought it looked good... until I attached it to the ground floor.





It didn't look right with the windows out of line with the ones below them, I immediately decided to rebuild the outward facing walls so the vertical lines of the windows were consistent between the floors...  This 'glass front' look is much more aesthetically pleasing to me.


In these pics, you can also see I've cleaned up the Barnes & Noble fascia on the ground floor, filling in the gap that was there previously


I also switched out the criss-crossed fence panels in front of the windows, for the straight bars (From my Hsanhe coffee shop sets) I much prefer the look of these.



As with the ground floor, I just made the corner as per the instructions.

This thing is actually starting to come together quite well...



I again, kept the interior simple for now. 2 more bookcases, another magazine rack and a simplified version of the tiling pattern (From the instructions) are the only details.


And of course the escalator to the 2nd Floor, which is a temporary fixture.


At this point of my build, I've also located 9 of the 10(!!) minifigs that came with this set originally.

The ladies


The Fellas

There should be a small boy here too, but I haven't come across him yet.

I won't go into detail on these, except to say they are of excellent quality, 
certainly the best I've come across in a Lepin set. The printing is perfect, and there is a nice variety of faces.

 I particularly like the Barista in his Turban and the Blue haired guy, as they are quite unique.  

That's all for now.  Check back soon, as the build moves on to the 3rd floor.






Comments